Saw Justin Davidson's guest piece at Alex Ross' blog, thought it was a tad snarky of him to conclude that these renowned Chinese artists represent "an American showcase" in their artwork.
It's true that Tan Dun's music has always blended in the western elements, and it's true that Cai Guo-Qiang's art is especially breathtaking in the way it embraces different cultures and perspectives, but I would hardly agree that a certain level of hodgepodge in their artwork is necessarily "American." I wouldn't even say that these arts are a Chinese showcase, even though their inspirations are deeply rooted in the ancient Chinese aesthetics and philosophy--the Taoism influence in Cai's paintings and the melancholy in Tan's music. What makes these transnational artists stand out is the profoundity they've gained in understanding both the East and the West, and the way they've created a melange of these different elements in their own artistic interpretation. Therefore, to overemphasize the American-ness--if truly so--in their art is quite biased and, I'd say, egoistic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment